Saturday, September 25, 2010

Local search makes it easier to find Australia Post in Doncaster East

I wanted to find out whether or not the post office in Doncaster East was open. At the moment it is Saturday shortly after midday.

I did a search of Google for Australia Post Doncaster East.

First Google search results gave me a map with three entries. None any good to me. I really just wanted the Australia Post site or the local post office.

Next were two TrueLocal pages. Nothing useful for me as I get the information they've keyed into their site, not the actual site.

Next was Wikipedia. I just want the opening times, not their life story.

Next was a page from deep inside Australia Post's site about Royal Melbourne Show Tickets. I check and there just appears to be addresses. (To be fair, I later rechecked and found a link for locating stores on the page which I hadn't noticed.)

There are seven more pages equally of no value.

I decided to see how this compared with using JustLocal.

I went to http://www.justlocal.com.au/ and entered 3109. I could have equally entered www.JustLocal.com.au/3109
I clicked on Search
Typed in Australia Post

The first entry is what I wanted. I clicked on the link. Post Office locations I thought would be on the front page as it is a common request people would make. It did take a bit of finding as there is a lot of information on their page. A search and I had the post office hours and unfortunately it was closed Saturdays.

The benefit of JustLocal search for the postcode areas of 3105, 3106, 3107, 3108, 3109, 3093, 3094, 3095 and 3113 is the search engines only includes businesses which have a presence in the postcode area. You don't get other directories. You get a link to their site. JustLocal is all about giving you a direct link to the site of a local business.

I've noticed now with Google it is being overwhelmed with the presence of so many advertising sites. Google search results are now becoming a list of directories. The enormous presence of companies from overseas such as Wikipedia gets returned for a lot of requests even though it isn't needed. I think most people know when they want to check Wikipedia and just go there. To me there isn't any real point for Wikipedia to be listed. The other problem is a great number of organisations seem to pay for a copy of the data from the telephone directories and then use that to create an online presence. You know the ones, they often don't have anything more for most entries than the address and phone number.

JustLocal search doesn't create another catalogue. It provides results which link directly to site of the business and only for sites with businesses in the area. When you do a search you are searching for information from the sites of local businesses.

If you find a business which isn't included in the search engine let me know and I'll add the site.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments: